I'm Not a Doctor, But I Play One on TV






I am in no way a medical professional. Information provided is just my experience. If you need medical information, please contact your doctor.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Life of a Trailblazer

This week we, well Westin, is trying Apidra, the newest fast acting insulin on the market. We are the first in our endo's office (as usual lately-we were the first on a continuous glucose monitor too) to try the newer insulin. Mind you, it has been on the market for a few years but is yet to be approved for children. But in the type 1 world, children are regularly written off label as it could take years to be approved for kids. Our endo wasn't encouraging but he did give in to my pleads. He is good that way :) That is the same thing that happened with getting Westin on a pump at 4 years old. I didn't have to plead too much with the cgms. The apidra I asked for via email and got a no. But I took up my plea again with him in person and he relented.

I have been watching a few families on Children with Diabetes that are using apidra. I really wanted to see how it would work with Westin. It is suppose to start a little faster and peak really fast. To compare, we used Novalog before and it would peak in 2 hours and last 4 or so hours. I never figured out exactly how long it would continue to tail. (That means it has this little tail that continues to lower sugar for some time.) Apidra is supposed to peak in an hour and last 2 hours. I know from last nights correction that it is lasting 4 hours but no real tail. The fast peak is what I really enjoy. I can see corrections working faster!

So far we have made minor basal changes but nothing major. I have a lot of basal testing to do before I know that other changes aren't needed. I am ready to stock up on plenty of carb free foods to get that testing done. I really can't do any other changes until I know the basals are set.

Oh, a little off topic, but I found this interesting interview with Denise Faustman. I think it does a great job at explaining her research. Check it out! http://www.diabetesdaily.com/edelman/2008/09/01/diabetes-cure-trial.pdf

1 comment:

Bernard said...

Michelle

I hope you found that recent research update from Dr. Faustman which showed how BCG was able to destroy the bad T cells without causing other issues. It's very exciting because it shows that their general approach is working. I'm saying my prayers.

BTW, I tried Apidra for a while and didn't notice any difference. I'll be interested to see how it works for Westin.

Are you also on TuDiabetes.com? Maybe someone on the parents of children with type 1 group could offer some advice.