I'm Not a Doctor, But I Play One on TV






I am in no way a medical professional. Information provided is just my experience. If you need medical information, please contact your doctor.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

REQUEST FOR CGMS: DENIED BY INSURANCE

Westin started using a continuous monitor in June of 2007. Before starting the monitor his a1c's ran around 8.0. After only a month of use his a1c dropped to 7.2. His last was down to 6.5!

After two attempts for reimbursement (we pay out of pocket) I finally got our first denial from BCBS of Michigan (MI CHILD). It was a silly reason for denial, stating it wasn't prescribed by a doctor, which is ludicrous. I have since faxed a copy of the prescription and am waiting for my next denial, as I don't assume this will be an easy or short process.

This technology is amazing and it isn't "Cadillac Care" as some have referred to it. Having a continuous glucose monitor, which reads your "blood sugar" every 5 minutes, is like dealing with diabetes with the lights on rather than in the dark.

You can follow the link above for more information about this day of awareness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your analogy to the lights being on inside of being in the dark. Thank you for being a part of this day

Anonymous said...

I love your analogy to the lights being on inside of being in the dark. Thank you for being a part of this day