I'm Not a Doctor, But I Play One on TV






I am in no way a medical professional. Information provided is just my experience. If you need medical information, please contact your doctor.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Oprah Show Idea: Faustman vs Type 1 Diabetes

Some other parents on Children With Diabetes decided to bombard Oprah with videos about type 1 diabetes. This is my attempt. I have sent this video to Oprah and a similar one to numerous other news organizations. I have had plenty of positive response to the video, but not from any media outlets. I have had parents contact me, letting me know about fundraising events spurred by this video. Others have made personal donations to http://www.faustmanlab.org/. 25 million is needed to start phase 2 trial sometime in 2009 or 2010, whenever they are ready to proceed. Will this be the cure? We don't know. Will it be a cure for all with type 1? We don't know. But the fact that she is an underdog (Dr. Faustman) is enough to get me riled up. The fact that she isn't backed by Big Pharm gives me hope.

Lately, with Westin's additional diagnosis of epilepsy, family members have asked what they can do to help? Even though we hate the additional diagnosis, we hate diabetes even more. All these diseases are manageable but diabetes affects our lives all day everyday. We need a cure. So what can you do? You can make a donation at the link above in Westin's name. That would mean a lot to us.

No comments: