I'm Not a Doctor, But I Play One on TV






I am in no way a medical professional. Information provided is just my experience. If you need medical information, please contact your doctor.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Introduction

My name is Michelle. I am a 32 year old mother of two boys. I have been married to my husband, Jason, for 12 years. We live in a small town west of Kalamazoo, Michigan. I started homeschooling in the fall of 2004.

My oldest son, Westin, 10, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the tender age of 2. By the time he was 8 he was diagnosed with celiac disease (he can't eat gluten) which is also an autoimmune disease, like type 1 diabetes and shortly before that he was diagnosed with asthma. Now, just this weekend he was diagnosed with epilepsy.

Westin loves to play video games and isn't into doing any sort of homeschool work. He isn't naturally inquisitive and that makes teaching a challenge. I try to embrace what he loves and find ways to incorporate it into a little extra learning. There are some things that can be learned from video games, believe it or not.

My youngest son, Wieland, is 2 years old and healthy, so far. As a mother of a child with all these problems, you can see why I say "so far". He is a very inquisitive boy and I look forward to homeschooling him.

I want this blog to document the trials, the joys and the issues in homeschooling and caring for a child with many medical needs. I wish it to be funny, yet informative. I hope you enjoy. Oh, and I want it to be therapeutic to me, as I need it! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just to want to make the comment that I am so proud of my son and daughter-in-law for the way they have dealt with the chronic illnesses of my grandson. Never a day goes by that I dont think of Westin and Wieland. I admire the strengh of the both of you, I dont think I could have done as well.

I am proud and I wish that things could have been different, but I would never trade my grandsons for anything, circumstances have made them what they are they are wonderful boys. You are a wonderful daughter-in-law and son.

Thank you for being who you are

Lots of Love
Grandma Pat